FIFA ‘strongly condemns’ violence between Hungary fans and police during match against England

FIFA are investigating the violent crowd trouble that marred Tuesday night’s clash between England and Hungary.

Hungarian fans clashed with police and security staff at Wembley on Tuesday night amid accusations a supporter made a racist slur towards a steward.

And a FIFA statement read: ‘FIFA is currently analysing reports of (Tuesday) night’s FIFA World Cup qualifier matches in order to determine the most appropriate action.


‘FIFA strongly condemns the incidents at England v Hungary and Albania v Poland and would like to state that its position remains firm and resolute in rejecting any form of violence as well as any form of discrimination or abuse. 

‘FIFA has a very clear zero-tolerance stance against such abhorrent behaviour in football.’

FIFA are investigating the violent crowd trouble that marred England’s match with Hungary

Riot police attempted to push back Hungary fans who were climbing over seats at Wembley


On Tuesday night, the Football Association (FA) vowed to launch an investigation and file a report to FIFA. Hungarian supporters had booed England players taking the knee before kick-off and gestured angrily. They also held up an anti-kneeling banner.

It was also announced on Wednesday morning that as well as the fan who was arrested for a racially aggravate public order offence, five more were arrested.

Two were arrested on suspicion of affray and assault on an emergency worker, one for affray, one for drunk and disorderly behaviour and another, bizarrely, on suspicion of voyeurism. 

The Metropolitan Police and FA’s security team were already on high alert after Hungary supporters targeted England fans with monkey chants and missiles in September’s Budapest meeting between the two countries.

Some Hungarian fans could be seen throwing punches at police officers, who hit back

Hungary fans booed England players taking the knee and held up an anti-gesture banner

Pictured: the Hungary fan who was holding the banner protesting against taking the knee

There was an increased police presence outside Wembley while the FA’s security plan also included additional measures to deal with more flashpoints, despite less than 1,000 tickets being sold to Hungary fans.

And it did not take long for the expected trouble to arrive with tensions quickly boiling over at the start of last night’s Group I clash, which ended in a disappointing 1-1 draw for England.  

First there was the booing while England’s players took the knee and then, just minutes in, more trouble broke out when police were required to back up overwhelmed stewards and enter the away section in an attempt to quell the outbreak of violence.

Blows were exchanged between the officers and a group of Hungary fans, which swelled in size as more joined in to force the police back.

Shocking social media footage saw police being backed into the concourse by the Hungarians

While unarmed stewards were left helpless, a number from the group of around 20 officers were forced to wield their batons and fight back as they tried in vain to control the angry mob and hold their ground.

The police eventually had little choice other than to retreat back down one of the away section exits onto the concourse and were followed by some of the away fans. 

Video footage emerging on social media showed one Hungary fan bleeding from the top of his head as he was part of the group that pushed back police officers down the concourse.  

Peace was eventually restored and, once the situation calmed down, rather than police, a considerable number of stewards later reappeared to guard the exits and continue to monitor the away section. The second half appeared to pass off with no further unsavoury incidents.