Get the latest news from across Ireland straight to your inbox every single day
Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign up!When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice
A Line of Duty star's 11-year-old son was almost abducted while walking home, his mother has said.
The police have launched an appeal after Sherise Blackman, who played Ruby Jones in the BBC One police drama, said her son was almost abducted in south-east London on Friday.
Ms Blackman said her boy was "really shaken up, really scared" once she got home, but when she called the police they "fobbed it off".
In a statement, the police said their initial response to the incident was "not sufficient".
The boy was walking home from school in Beckenham when two men on foot, and another in a car, attempted to abduct him, Ms Blackman said.
She said the two men chased her son into a local park but he ran to a basketball court where he was helped by two teenagers who protected him.
The TV star told the Evening Standard that her son got off his normal bus at a different stop as it was on diversion.
After the bus drove off, a black van pulled up and asked him where he was going before offering him a lift, she added.
The two men appeared and began to follow him, leaving the boy terrified.
He turned around and saw they were still following him so he ran into Croydon Road Recreation Ground.
(Image: GOOGLE MAPS)
The two men followed him in there and told the teenagers that the boy was with them, but he said he wasn't, his mother explained.
Mrs Blackman said the teens blocked the entrance to the court and told the boy to run home.
He then made it home to his mum, who said: "He told me and my husband what happened and we immediately called the police."
Police told her they would visit on Sunday, when they asked if the boy had any "beef' with anyone.
Ms Blackman said: "My son is a very smart little boy – he sensed danger. But they were trying to fob it off."
The BBC star added: "They made my son go through the whole rigmarole of explaining it and the poor thing was really nervous, only to say a crime hasn’t actually been committed."
She claims the police told her a crime hadn't been committed but if anything happened again they would look into it.
Superintendent Andy Brittain, from the South Area BCU, which covers Bromley borough, said: "I fully acknowledge our initial response was not sufficient given the extremely worrying circumstances of this incident.
"The matter was reviewed and detectives are carrying out further investigation which remains ongoing.
"CCTV of the area is currently being reviewed to identify any possible suspects.
"Detectives have been in touch with the boy's parents to update them on the investigation so far, and will continue to keep them informed of any developments.
"I want to reassure the boy's parents and the wider community that this incident is being fully investigated to establish the full circumstances of what happened."
One of the males is described as white, approximately 5ft 10in tall. The second suspect is described as 6ft tall.
Superintendent Brittain, added: "I would also appeal to anyone who witnessed this incident to come forward and speak to officers, especially the two men playing tennis that the victim approached for help."
*Anyone who has information that could assist police, or who saw the victim pursued by two males, should call police on 101 quoting reference Cad 5322/30Apr.