Luis Suarez has finally sealed his acrimonious exit from Barcelona after reportedly agreeing a termination of his contract.
Despite long-term interest from Juventus it appears that Atletico Madrid is the next destination for the Uruguayan striker, according to Spanish outlet RAC.
And the anticipated departure of Suarez will lead to Atletico shifting on former Chelsea striker Alvaro Morata, who will now return to Juventus on loan.
Luis Suarez has reportedly agreed a termination of his contract with Barcelona
Alvaro Morata is now looking likely to leave Atletico Madrid and return to Juventus
Suarez had been widely expected to make the move to Juventus after new Barca boss Ronald Koeman made it clear that he did not feature in his plans.
Suarez passed an Italian exam in Perugia last week in order to acquire dual nationality with Juve unable to bring in any more non-EU players in this transfer window following the arrivals of Arthur Melo and Weston McKennie.
The 33-year-old was facing an anxious wait for a passport to be approved ahead of the transfer window closing on October 5, and Andrea Pirlo admitted at the weekend the transfer would be ‘difficult’.
According to Italian outlet Gazzette dello Sport, the new Juventus boss said: ‘Suarez is difficult because the times to get a passport are long, it is complicated that [our new striker] can be him.’
Suarez had appeared destined to go to Juventus but could now go to Atletico Madrid
Juventus manager Andrea Pirlo said ‘it will be difficult’ for him to make the move this month
The breakdown in his move to Juve has allowed Atletico to swoop in, with Diego Simeone looking to pair Suarez with Diego Costa up front.
The move will see Morata head for pastures new once more.
The Spaniard spent two seasons at Juve between 2014 and 2016 and was part of the side that reached the Champions League final in 2015.