Simon Cowell is looking to focus on family life in the US
The decision to close the UK arm of his Syco company follows the closure of his Syco Music label in 2020.
It means all his business interests are now based in the States, where he signed a contract last year to develop new ideas.
Syco TV in the US signed a deal with NBC for “unscripted programmes” which will air on their streaming channel Peacock.
And he is working on another US show called “50 States to Stardom”.
Cowell teamed up with Oscar winning business partners Brian Grazer and director Ron Howard, from Imagine Entertainment, to produce a major prime time big music competition series.
Their project will mix a music competition with a unique documentary format in order to discover America’s next greatest talent.
Britain's Got Talent was one of Syco TV's offerings
After BGT auditions next week Cowell will go back to America for the official launch of the AGT Vegas live show in February.
He then have AGT auditions for TV and two shows on screen; AGT and AGT Extreme.
Some sources have suggested this move to close the UK branch of Syco means Cowell spends the majority of his time in the future in the US.
One said: “Most of his business is there now. However you look at it he needs to be in America for the majority of his projects.
“He loves his house in Malibu and Eric goes to school in LA so his family life is there. He will be back to the UK for BGT but there are no other work projects there for him. So from now on America will be his home.”
Lauren Silverman and Simon Cowell recently got engaged
(Image: Getty Images)
Simon Cowell is going to focus on life in the United States
(Image: Getty Images,,)
A source close to Cowell told the Mirror insisted has plans to spend “lots of time” in London this year after jetting in for the Britain’s Got Talent auditions this weekend.
He added: “Simon’s decision will give him more time to concentrate on being on-screen talent and spending time with his beloved family.”
Cowell flew into London today to be on the panel.
His late arrival just 48 hours before filming begins on Sunday raised eyebrows amongst some ITV execs and it was a contrast from a few years ago when Cowell had a reputation for being a perfectionist who would have been locked in London meetings for days in the run up to a series to make sure everything was perfect.
But he now seems to be favouring a less hands-on and more relaxed approach to TV – and life – since he broke his back in a e-bike accident in August 2020.
In November last year, Cowell pulled out of his role as a judge on new ITV series Walk The Line just weeks before it was due to start.
At the time the reason given was he wanted to concentrate on his role as a producer of the format.
Cowell was not thought to have been in the UK during the filming of Walk The Line and watched from the US. His return to London for BGT, which will be his first appearance on British TV for since the BGT auditions in May 2020, and it is thought to be his first time back in the UK since last Summer.
Do you have a story to sell? Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us direct 0207 29 33033.