Sir Alex Ferguson was arrested and jailed after a drunken fight in playing days

Come on in and join the club! Get our daily Manchester United email newsletter

Sign me up!When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.

Sir Alex Ferguson was once arrested and jailed following a drunken fight during his playing days.

The legendary Manchester United manager was at St Johnstone at the time and was struggling to break into the first team.

Ferguson was fined £3 for the incident after appearing in court.

By his own admission, Ferguson went off the rails in the early 1960s as a result of his career faltering.

His behavior sparked a rift with his dad, and the pair didn't speak for two years as a result.

In the new documentary Sir Alex Ferguson: Never Give In, the 79-year-old recalled this period of his life.

Sir Alex Ferguson was once arrested and jailed
(Image: PA)

Read More
Related Articles

  • Ole Gunnar Solskjaer singles out Man Utd star who was "absolutely superb" in derby

Read More
Related Articles

  • Barcelona's new president Joan Laporta's masterplan and what it means for Lionel Messi

Ferguson said, as reported by the Daily Record: "I was getting despondent about football because I wasn't a first-team player all the time.

"My career was going down the pan and I went off the rails a bit. I was going out in town and I started going out on Friday nights even, the day before a game.

"My dad would say 'You can't go to the dancing if you've got a game tomorrow.'

"That's when we fell out. It got to a point where he said 'Go your own way and we'll see what happens,' and then we weren't talking to one another.

"For two years between 1961 and 1963, we didn't talk.

"One night I went out and I got drunk and I ended up in a fight and ended up in jail. I went to court and got fined £3. I was a bit of a black sheep.

"That period has always been in the back of my head and I have always regretted it. Here's me with the background and upbringing I had and I surrendered."

In the documentary, which was premiered at the Glasgow Film Festival at the weekend, Ferguson explains how he managed to get his life back on track and how a hat-trick for St Johnstone against Rangers in December 1963 played a huge part.

Ferguson has recalled the period from his life in a new documentary
(Image: REUTERS)

"It was the most important game of my life," added Ferguson.

"I wanted to go home and see my dad because I knew he would be proud.

"I said 'What do you think dad?'. He said 'It was all right, OK,' and then he starts 'That's the boy I had.'

"We were back pals. That changed my life, it was the biggest break of my life and it was the one that mattered to me.

"After that, I was committed. It was nothing but football for me."

Read More
Related Articles

  • Graeme Souness blasts Gareth Bale comments and says he "expected more" from Tottenham star

Read More
Related Articles

  • Gareth Bale relishing playing alongside "amazing" teammates as Tottenham renaissance continues

Posted on Categories Sport