Sir Rod Stewart swerves court as he reaches agreement in Florida assault case

(Image: Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images)

Get daily headlines and breaking news alerts for FREE by signing up to our newsletter

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign up!We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time.More infoThank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

.

Sir Rod Stewart's alleged assault case in Florida is drawing to a conclusion after almost two years, with the singer and prosecutors reaching a deal, court records show.

The veteran rock star, 76, was due to stand trial alongside his son Sean, 41, over allegations they attacked a security guard at a luxury hotel in Palm Beach on New Year's Eve 2019.

Security guard Jessie Dixon claimed Sir Rod punched him in the ribs during a row over access to a private party in a children's area.

Sean allegedly got "nose to nose" with Mr Dixon. Both men denied a charge of simple battery.

(Image: Getty Images)

(Image: PA)

A trial date had been set for September 14. However, court records show Sir Rod's lawyers have reached a settlement agreement and a final hearing has been scheduled for October 22.

Judge August Bonavita is expected to sign off on the agreement, details of which were not released.

Neither Sir Rod or his son have to appear at the hearing.

The Mirror has contacted a representative for Rod Stewart for comment.

The Palm Beach County State Attorney's Office said it had no comment.

Sir Rod and his son were charged in January 2020.

(Image: PA)

Mr Dixon alleged the musician and his son were part of a group that objected to being denied entry to a private party in a children's area at the Breakers Palm Beach Hotel, according to police documents.

When asked to leave, it was alleged Sir Rod and his group "began to get loud and cause a scene", before Sean got "about nose to nose" with Mr Dixon.

The guard claimed to have been pushed by Sean before Sir Rod came towards him and punched him in the ribs.

It agreement comes after a zoom hearing in March, in which a lawyer for Sir Rod and his son said the one issue was holding the case up, but did not give further details.

The lawyer did not make clear the exact nature of the "single-issue" or how it is expected to resolve the hold-up at the time.

Guy Fronstin said during the zoom – that Rod and Sean were not present: “Since the last hearing, the state and defence have worked really hard to resolve this. At today’s hearing it’s unfortunately not going to happen.

“There’s one issue that needs to be buttoned up, I think it’s going to be resolved today, we’re due to get paperwork done.”

Do you have a story to sell? Get in touch with us at webcelebs@trinitymirror.com or call us direct 0207 29 33033.